Install Visual C++ 6 with SP5 on Vista
- Firstly, you need to run the Visual Studio 6 setup using ‘Run as administrator’.
- You can do that by right clicking on the setup file and select ‘Run as administrator’.
- Ignore any errors Vista gives you while running the setup and ask it never to show you these errors again.
- During the setup, do not select any options except VC and VB 6 as others have serious compatibility issues.
- After the setup, restart your PC.
- There will be another error when Windows starts, ignore it and continue.
- Go your Service Pack 5 directory and look for a file named ‘sp598ent.stf’.
- Open the file with a notepad and look for the following value.
13 Group 28 <OTHER NUMBERS>
- Replace this value with the following value
13 Group 28 38 29 30 32 26 27 14 25 16 17 20 18 19 15 39 21 22 24 23 43
- Make sure you only correct the numbers by looking at these values and don’t change the spaces.
- Run the setup, ‘setupsp5.exe’ using ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Once the setup is complete, you will need to restart the computer and you’re done.
Some people say that you need to have UAC (User Access/Account Control) turned on for this to work, but you don’t. Also, this solution was given by guideX on MSDN forums and the credit goes to him. Thanks.
© 2016 Most of the work on this site is mine, ask before using. Thanks. –